ORGANISATION/COMPANYHelmholtz Centre for Infection Research
RESEARCH FIELDChemistry › Applied chemistryPharmacological sciences › Pharmacy
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE05/02/2021 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONGermany › Saarbrücken
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK19.5
OFFER STARTING DATE01/03/2021
The Helmholtz Institute for Pharmaceutical Research Saarland (HIPS) is part of the Helmholtz Center for infection Research (HZI), jointly founded in 2009 with Saarland University and located on its campus in Saarbücken, Germany. HIPS has taken an excellent development to take a unique position in Germany and Europe for research towards the development of novel anti-infectives. The multidisciplinary expertise present on site allows concerted and synchronous approaches to the discovery and mining of novel producers of potential drugs, their rational improvement and bioprofiling, as well as their optimal formulation and delivery. The combined research activities and experiences of the scientists at HIPS, HZI and Saarland University allow for the complete coverage in drug development from drug discovery to clinical phase II studies. A successful implementation of translational research is thus achieved.
The Departments for Drug Design and Optimization and Drug Delivery, are jointly looking for another member of a recent interdisciplinary team to work at the exciting interface of these two research areas.
The aim of the project is the development of innovative carrier molecules, tailored to improve the delivery of different anti-infectives, including small molecules as well as nucleotides, across relevant biological barriers, such as epithelial tissues, bacterial and mammalian cell membranes, mucus, and biofilms. Biodynamers are biodegradable polymers, capable to dynamically respond to stimuli by adapting their structure and function (Ref. 1+2). Another interesting platform are self-assembling nanocarriers based on amphiphilic isoprene derivatives (Ref. 3-5). The practical work comprises the synthesis and physico-chemical characterization of the new carrier molecules, the exploration of their potential to encapsulate and release anti-infective cargos, as well as their bio-pharmaceutical evaluation in advanced cell and tissue models.
We offer an inspiring research environment with excellent facilities as needed for both the chemical and biopharmaceutical aspects of the project. The interdisciplinary team of scientists at the HIPS is well integrated in international networks as needed for cutting-edge infection research and thus provides many opportunities for scientific exchange and creation of own ideas.
We are looking for a young scientist with a first degree in chemistry or pharmacy, who is highly motivated to explore the field of drug delivery and biopharmaceutics. A solid background in synthetic organic and/or polymer chemistry, analytical chemistry, nanoengineering or biomaterials would certainly facilitate the start. The ideal candidate is motivated to bring in own ideas and is eager to learn complementary methods. A communicative, open person will profit from the bridging between the two departments.
- MS or equivalent in Chemistry, Pharmacy, Nano-/Polymer science or a related subject.
- Sound knowledge of and ideally experience in the synthesis and characterization of polymer and nano-assemblies thereof.
- Self-motivated, eager student striving to acquire new skills and able to work independently.
- Enjoying working in a dynamic and interdisciplinary team.
- Organization and communication skills in English.
Equal opportunities are part of HZI’s personnel policy. Preference is given to severely disabled persons with the same professional qualifications.
Starting date: as soon as possible
- initial contract will be for one year, a two-year extension is scheduled -
Salary: according to E13 TVöD/Bund (55%)
Location: HIPS Saarbrücken
Probation period: 6 months
Closing date: 05.02.2021
Applicants are required to complete the online application form here:
https://hzi.opencampus.net/ (Please select Job No. 02/2021).
For further information, please contact
Prof. Dr. Anna Hirsch, Anna.Hirsch@helmholtz-hips.de, +49 681 98806 2100
Prof. Dr. Claus-Michael Lehr, Claus-Michael.Lehr@helmholtz-hips.de, +49 681 98806 1000
- Liu, Y., et al Proteoid Dynamers with Tunable Properties. Advanced Functional Materials, 26(34), 6297–6305 (2016). doi:10.1002/adfm.201601612
- Lee, S. et al. pH-Dependent morphology and optical properties of lysine-derived molecular biodynamers. Materials Chemistry Frontiers 1–5 (2020). doi:10.1039/C9QM00651F
- Ho, D.-K. et al. Squalenyl Hydrogen Sulfate Nanoparticles for Simultaneous Delivery of Tobramycin and an Alkylquinolone Quorum Sensing Inhibitor Enable the Eradication of P. aeruginosa Biofilm Infections. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. Engl. 59, 10292–10296 (2020). Doi:10.1002/anie.202001407
- Christmann, R., Ho, D. K., Wilzopolski, J., Lee, S. & Koch, M. Tofacitinib Loaded Squalenyl Nanoparticles for Targeted Follicular Delivery in Inflammatory Skin Diseases. Pharmaceutics, 2020 doi:10.3390/pharmaceutics12121131
- Ho, D.-K., Loretz, B., Lehr, C.-M. Aminoglycoside derivatives and nano-assemblies thereof, including those with quorum sensing inhibitory function (2019) WO2019001935A1
EURAXESS offer ID: 595137
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.