Third-country Citizens

Working in Europe | Work permit | Croatia

There are three types of stay permits for third–country citizens, depending on the length and the purpose of their stay in Croatia. If they plan to stay up to 90 days in Croatia, they are obliged to report their accommodation, but if they plan to stay longer than 90 days they are obliged only to register their address and to apply for the approval of temporary stay at the competent police directorate or police station. Same rules also apply on the EEA family members/citizens of EEA countries with which Croatia still has mutual restrictions of employment in place, until 01 July 2018 (Austria, Malta, the Netherlands, Slovenia and UK). More information on the registration of accomodation and the address can be found at the Accomodation section.

Upon the approval of temporary stay foreigners will also get a PIN number or personal identification number (OIB number, in Croatian), needed for all dealings with any kind of officialdom, such as paying taxes and household bills, opening and accessing a bank account, or registering a vehicle. No special application is necessary and if a foreigner already received the OIB number from the Tax Department of the Ministry of Finance, it is advisable to submit a copy of the OIB confirmation while submitting the temporary stay application (to avoid duplications). For more information on OIB please visit Croatian personal identification number (PIN) section.


Third-country citizens intending to study (regular students, PhD students, students coming in the framework of student mobility or for traineeship) in Croatia need to apply for approval of temporary stay for the purpose of studying. International students are not allowed to attend classes at university until they have procured a residence permit. Temporary stay permit for the purpose of studies is valid up to one year, i.e. until the end of the academic year.

International students coming from third countries can submit a temporary stay permit application in one of two ways:

  1. An application for a temporary stay permit for the purpose of studies can be submitted to a diplomatic mission or consular post of Croatia. If a third-country student is not subject to the visa requirement, the application for a temporary stay permit can be submitted to a police directorate or police station in Croatia.
  2. On the other hand, third-country students who need a visa for entry into Croatia, but are coming for the purpose of studies at a higher educational institution as regular students (Bachelor, Master or PhD level) can submit the application for a temporary stay permit for the purpose of studies in Croatia at a police directorate or police station.  

The administrative fee for granting the permit for temporary stay is 350.00 HRK (approximately 47.00 EUR). The administrative fee for production of biometric residence card is 240.00 HRK (approximately 30.00 EUR) and 70.00 HRK (approximately 9.00 EUR) in duty stamps. International students receiving a grant from the Croatian Ministry of Science, Education and Sports are exempt from paying an administrative fee in the amount of 360.00 HRK for granting their temporary stay in Croatia. Biometric residence card will be issued within approximately three weeks from the submission of required documents and needs to be returned to the police directorate or police station upon expiration of stay in Croatia. Documents required for the issuance of a biometric residence card are: passport, one colour photograph (30 x 35 mm) and confirmation of address registration.

Students submitting an application to a diplomatic mission or consular post of Croatia in their home country should start compiling documents at least 4 months prior to arrival to Croatia and submit them 3 months before arrival (please note that consular offices and police administration offices will not accept applications for temporary stay submitted earlier than 3 months before the arrival). The procedure can take one month or longer.

All original documents must be officially translated into Croatian, and an “apostille” of all original documents and certified translations may be required. It is suggested to check with the Croatian diplomatic mission or consular post whether the need for an “apostille“ exists. More information about ‘’apostille’’ is available here.

Foreigners with the status of regular pupils or students in Croatia, provided they find a job through the mediation of authorised student agencies, may work without a stay and work permit or a work registration certificate.

Useful information for international students can be found on the Study in Croatia portal.


Useful links: