The Register of Researchers has been established for the purpose of having a database with relevant data of all persons engaged in scientific work. This procedure is required if you plan to settle down in Croatia and seek permanent employment in publicly funded research jobs or apply for national funding. In other cases, this is not a requirement.
The general requirement for election to a scientific or academic employment position is the entry into the Register of Researchers with the appropriate or higher scientific title (research associates, senior research associates, research advisors, research advisors with tenure, etc.). Organizations and scientists not entered into the Register or removed from it may not be funded from the state budget. Exceptionally, foreign organizations and foreign scientists may be, although not entered into the Register, at the proposal of the National Council for Science, Higher Education and Technological Development funded from the state budget if they participate in a project which is of significance to Croatia. Additionally, persons with a degree of Master of Science can also be entered into the Register of Researchers.
The request to register a researcher is submitted by:
- A scientific organization or other legal entity registered in the Register of Scientific Organizations for its employees or the employee him/herself,
- A person who is not employed in the scientific organization after the election procedure,
- A person who is not elected in any scientific or academic title which is the basis for entry, but has gained a doctoral degree (or master) of science degree.
Documents required for the entry to the Register of Researchers are:
- Application form for the first registration of a person in the Register
- A decision on the election to a scientific title, or grant of honorary titles
- A proof of doctoral (or master) of science degree
- Recognition of a foreign higher education qualification
The application for the entry into Register of Researchers needs to be sent to the Ministry of Science, Education and Sports, Donje Svetice 38, 10 000 Zagreb. This procedure is free of charge, however take into account the necessary translations and the recognition of qualifications.